College Credit Overview
High school juniors and seniors who complete the 36-week syllabus from the current edition of either Understanding the Times or Understanding the Faith can earn 3 hours of college credit. These credits are offered through Bryan College, a fully accredited Christian liberal arts college in Dayton, TN. (Please note that we can no longer offer college credit for the 2006 edition of Understanding the Times).
- Understanding the Times is transcripted as “Philosophy 112”
- Understanding the Faith is transcripted as “CT 109 Understanding the Faith: Surv of Chr Apologetics”
Since Bryan College is fully accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, credits easily transfer to most schools (both religious and secular). Since each institution is the sole determiner of credit acceptance, it is recommended that you check with the registrar of your chosen college before you apply.
Tuition for each course is only $350. Tuition is non-refundable and must be received by Summit Ministries before the application deadline.
College Credit Requirements
To earn 3 hours of college credit, students need to complete the following:
- Submit the College Credit Application and tuition (non-refundable $350) to Summit Ministries submitted between January 01, 2018 and May 01, 2018. (Note: tuition must be paid by credit or debit card using the online form. We are not able to accept checks for college credit at this time).
- Complete the 36-week Syllabus with a grade of C or above.
- Submit the Understanding The Faith CC Coursework Form or the Understanding The Times CC Coursework Form and copies of each Unit Test and quiz to Summit Ministries postmarked by June 01, 2018 (do not submit any other assignments). Note: Students are not required to take every quiz. However, each quiz taken will need to be submitted and should be recorded and calculated as 20% of the final college credit score.
To ensure objectivity, college credit grades will be based solely on test scores and quizzes, not on any of the other assignments. Teachers will need to keep copies of the unit tests and quizzes to mail with the Coursework Form. Bryan College uses the following grading scale:
93–100% = A | 90–92% = A- | 87–89% = B+ | 83–86% = B | 80–82% = B- | 77–79% = C+ | 73–76% = C | 70–72% = C- | 69% or below = NC
Note: The final grade will be determined by your institution. They may use Bryan’s grading scale, their own grading scale, or just transfer in credit as either “pass” or “fail.”
Colleges may require students to turn in a course syllabus when they transfer the credits. These synopses list the lectures, supplemental materials, and topics presented in the curriculum, along with accreditation information: